Firm also worked with manufacturers to develop water lubricated short shaft vertical turbine pumps with hydraulic characteristics suitable for water systems. The Firm also worked with manufacturers to develop coatings for steel pipe suitable for the corrosive waters of the Piedmont.
This era in water treatment brought significant benefits in public health. The disinfection of water on a “commercial” scale began in the early 1900’s and was a large reason that the death rate from Typhoid Fever dropped from over 24 per 100,000 to almost zero by 1947 in the United States. The Firm provided design of the first “modern” water treatment plants with disinfection for the cities of Atlanta, Athens, Dalton, Gainesville, Kingsport, Newnan, Laurens, Macon, Spartanburg, and many other cities across the southeast.
The Firm was an innovator in water treatment and distribution establishing design standards for water quality conditions unique to the Southeast. During the period of large scale growth in the Piedmont without investment in erosion control, river water often exceeded 1000 NTU and with particles that would not settle. Originally, the development of filtration by Fuller on the Ohio River placed little emphasis on flocculation and during that time mechanical flocculation systems were not available. As a result, the Firm developed a gravity flocculation system with over and under baffles. Many of these flocculation systems dating back to the 1920’s are still in service today.
In addition to removing turbidity, dissolved manganese continued to be a problem for many areas in the Southeast. To address this problem, the Firm developed techniques for flocculative problems for waters in the Ridge and Valley areas of North Georgia and East Tennessee.
We pledge to maintain our fiduciary responsibility.
Since its inception, Wiedeman and Singleton has been privileged to be a part of many innovations in water and water environment technology.
1910’s First sewage disposal plant completed to
serve the Fulton County alms houses
1920’s The Hemphill Plant is the City’s first “modern” water treatment plant with
disinfection serving the City of Atlanta.
1920’s First activated sludge water reclamation
facility in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale).
1930’s Research and investigation finds fresh water
1940’s Planning and design of one of Georgia’s
largest WWII military facilities, the Coosa
River Ordinance Plant.
1950’s Innovations with trickling filters to cost
effectively meet secondary treatment requirements
to comply with future rules.
1960’s Designed the first successful secondary treatment facility for tufted
textile fi nishing wastes for Dalton, Georgia
1960’s Designed the first river water quality pretreatment facility on the
Chattahoochee River to protect the City’s water supply.
1970’s The R.M. Clayton Plant in Atlanta is the first computer operated water
pollution control plant in Georgia and one of the first in the Southeast.
1980’s The largest land application system in the world (excluding the irrigation
pipe completed by Dalton Utilities) that includes 3 treatment plants, a
2.4 billion gallon reservoir and 100 miles of roads, canals, pump stations
for the 8,000 acre site.
1990’s Highest head submersible pumping installation in the United States in
2000’s Monroe Utilities ten million gallons per day membrane drinking water
filtration plant is the first permitted in Georgia.